Welcome!  Hymns have been and continue to be a real source of inspiration to me.  My desire in this blog is to share special hymns with my readers hoping that the words will minister to them, especially in times of great personal need.  If one of these hymns ministers to you, please take time to leave a comment so that I know that my blog is helping others as much as it helps me. Sometimes I will also provide a link where you can go to hear the hymn played.  So, please join me here each week and sing along as we praise God together.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

O FOR A THOUSAND TONGUES

Yesterday we left early in the morning to attend the Penn State football game at State College. As we traveled there, we had the radio turned on to a local Christian radio station and one of the programs included some old hymns. One of those was the one chosen this week which is one of over 6,000 written by Charles Wesley. I didn't think much more about it until the game began. The crowd was quiet as Penn State was playing poorly and fell behind. But then, late in the second quarter, things began to change. Penn State took control of the game and the crowd went wild. Then over 100,000 fans began the famous chant, "We are, Penn State" and the stadium shook. It was then that the words of this old hymn came back and I began to think of the effect of thousands using their tongue to sing the praises of a football team - yes, just a football team. It struck me how much more we have to stir us to sing, shout, and praise our great Creator. It is humbling to think how little we talk about Him and praise Him. In fact often, at best, we are too busy to do so. At worst, we are too embarrassed to do so. But He alone deserves our praise and adoration and we should use the one tongue that we have to do so - all the time. When Wesley originally wrote this in 1740, there were 18 verses. I am including just four of the more familiar ones for you to meditate upon today. He is said to have written this on the first anniversary of his conversion and it was his recommendation that everyone should sing it "on the anniversary of one's conversion."
O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer's praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of his grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of thy name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
'Tis music in the sinner's ears,
'Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean;
His blood availed for me.

Listen to it here. LISTEN

No comments: